Friday, April 1, 2011

Hold on! Hold on! That similac that he just drank was recalled?!

Easton has been an exclusively breastfed baby up until about 2 weeks ago when we decided to introduce formula. Justin and I had been talking about this for a few weeks prior to the formula intro trying to decide what to do since the stash of milk that I had stored before going back to work was diminishing in our freezer (completely gone now) and I am pumping just enough milk at work to keep up with Easton's needs for about 2 days out. The inevitable (to introduce formula) has been approaching though I didn't want to face it and actually cried (feeling defeated) when we decided it was time to introduce a feeding of formula into his day. We made the decision that he would receive one bottle of formula per day as I can keep up with the other feedings and this would allow for me to begin to store up milk that came with the extra pumping. So the decision was made...I was on board and Justin was glad that we could stop talking about what to do and just do it. That's when it happened. We got out the similac formula that the hospital had given us as a gift and made Easton's bottle. Sure, he drank it...downed it in no time actually and we went on about our day. Then the next day he had his 2nd bottle of formula just like we had planned...one bottle a day formula and the rest being from momma. This whole time, in the back of my mind, I thought I had remembered there being a recall on this stuff as I work at Walmart and those recall signs are posted everywhere, but for some reason, I just didn't worry about the Similac we had as being the recalled version of the product. "Surely the hospital wouldn't have given me the recalled stuff" I thought, and "wasn't that recall before I had Easton?" 


Come to find out the similac that my son had been given in not 1 but 2 bottles WAS the recalled formula. And to make matters worse, the reason the stuff was recalled was because BEETLE LARVAE had been found in the processing of the formula at the manufacturing plant. "I knew I didn't want to give him that stuff!" I told Justin when we found out. Daddy's response, "he's going to eat a bug in his life at some point."