Sunday, September 4, 2011

A week as a SINGLE mom

This past Thursday Justin left for his annual hunting trip (this year he's tracking caribou on the Canadian tundra) which leaves Easton and I with some mother-son time for a little over a week. This is the first time as parents Justin has been gone for several days at a time, and in just 3 days of his absence I've learned that being a single mother is HARD... 

You see, as a married mother, I take for granted having Justin to bounce ideas off of regarding Easton's care (examples: Why do you think he's awake and it's midnight? What should we do about ________(anything new that comes up)? I think he's teething have you noticed ________(signs or symptoms)?) I also take for granted how accessible & hands-on Justin is regarding Easton. There are so many times in the rush of the morning when we are getting ready for work & Jus will make the time to ask "How can I help get you all out the door? Can I go ahead and get Easton up and change him? Does your car need to be loaded with Easton's stuff?" AlsoI don't want to forget to mention how two are much better than one when you are talking about juggling a 40 hr per week work schedule as well as Easton's daily routine. 

BUT it's not just about needing a partner to get through the daily grind. In Justin's short absence (going on 4 days) I've been able to realize that it's so nice at the end of the day to have someone to laugh together with about the funny & new things Easton has done or accomplished & to just talk about things like what the future holds for us together & our family. I've realized this week that as a parent team you just don't feel so alone in your parenting decisions. 

There is a famous quote that says "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and I know it to be true. Easton and I both miss "DA DA DA!" and can't wait to pick him up at the airport on Friday...caribou and all!