Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Few Words from a New Father

My life prior to Easton was great but was also missing so much that I could never have began to comprehend until now. When I saw the pregnancy test that Brooke left on the counter and a note that said, "Are you ready for this???" I could honestly say NO I was not. I was, however, overcome with great emotion, excitement, and an immediate love for our future child. At first it was so surreal but equally exciting. 


In the first weeks, I remember thinking Brooke said it will take a while to get pregnant and I still have some time to prepare for fatherhood. That could not have been any farther from the truth. I think the first time it was real for me was that first doctor visit and ultrasound. The doctor said, "Oh my gosh! Look at that BIG baby!" We were 4 weeks further along than we thought, and my response was "Holy Crap!" I was taken over by pure amazement and love that I can't begin to describe. The next few months flew by in a blur to say the least. I had major work to do to make room for this new little guy. I worked day and night to the point of exhaustion on a detached garage and den area to open up the room for him. These were tough months. My advice to anyone who wants to do major construction on their house with a pregnant wife is "You have lost your mind." The pregnancy went pretty smoothly with only one major scare that turned out to be no big deal, thank the Lord. I wrapped up the majority of my projects just in time to squeeze in one last hunting trip to Wyoming. When I got home, we began to mentally prepare for our new arrival (which no one can do). 


About 10 PM on November 5, after a nice meal with friends, Brooke began having contractions which continued into the next day. We decided it was time at 4:30 PM on Saturday. After checking into the hospital, we began the long night. It was very intense at times but indescribably awesome as well. The feelings and emotions that came over me when I saw my son's head that first time can never be put into words. One thing I can say is I serve an awesome God to allow me this kind of joy! I have never felt the kind of love and connection to the Lord or my beautiful wife as that November morning at 
12:27 AM. Cutting the cord that had given him life and bringing him into the big new world automatically brought tears of joy to my eyes. 


My love has grown stronger with each day of the past 9 weeks of life as a father. From his upset cry to his precious little smile and everything in-between, I can honestly say I love being a father. I pray every day that the Lord will give me patience and wisdom to raise my beautiful new son in a way that would be pleasing to Him. I also pray that one day he will love and serve Christ who gave me the great gift and privilege of fatherhood.


Justin Chester