Friday, January 21, 2011

The Gift of Sleep

This pic was taken a few weeks ago when Easton fell asleep on our down comforter. He was all "snuggly wuggly" (as we say at our house) so how could you blame him.

Yesterday, I had breakfast with a few girlfriends and one of the topics of conversation was How old should a baby be when they sleep through the night (meaning 10-12 hrs)?  Of course, every parent has a different opinion depending on their child, sleeping situation at home, etc. After talking with my girlfriends and hearing their opinions based on what they had been told by their pediatricians, Justin and I decided that last night we would see if Easton could sleep through the night without momma rushing in his room at the first stir of the night (I would usually go in immediately when Easton would wake between 4 and 4:45 AM so as not to allow Easton's voice on the monitor to wake Justin). We had a game plan...the plan was when Easton would start to "talk" I was to stay in bed and not go in until a certain length of time had passed. Well, sure enough at about 5 AM Easton started "talking". I was prepared and ready...to stay put, that is. I turned the monitor down so that it wouldn't wake Justin and just waited...But then I didn't hear anything. I thought, "surely he is still awake. It's only been 3 minutes". Justin turned to me at that time and in a very sleepy voice asked "Did you go in?" I responded "No, but will you go and check on him? I haven't heard anything else besides one little peep." Sure enough Justin went to check and when he returned I anxiously awaited the news. I asked (puzzled, of course), "What is he doing in there?" Justin's calm reply, "sleeping." 

Our little boy slept form his last feeding of the day (11 PM) until 8 AM this morning...a whopping 9 hours. And if you count that his bedtime was 8:30 PM and he didn't really wake during his 11 PM "dreamfeed" then that would mean he slept almost 12 hours. Way to go Easton and mom!